« Home | Can't think of a title » | Grocerying » | It's gonna be a long trip » | And "veggea" means...? »

I may take things too personally...

...But I can't help but be annoyed when my new roommate, upon hearing that I'm transitioning into veganism, immediately says: "You better take LOTS of vitamins then!" with a kind of laugh at the end. Not a funny ha-ha laugh, but kind of a "is she nuts?" laugh. This from a girl that was eating a dinner that consisted only of ground beef, cheese, and hard corn tortilla shells. People that live in bad health glass houses should not throw stones, methinks. My dinner of homemade hummus with lettuce and tomatos on wheat pitas and a side rich tomato basil soup may not have looked amazing, but it was a lot more nutritionally balanced than tacos!

I guess it's something that I'll have to get used to. The boyfriend told me to not really pay any attention to it, but it bugs me that people would automatically think that I think I can live off of twigs and berries. I've done my research, and I told her that you can actually live a wonderful and nutritionally balanced life without any animal products in your diet, but I'm not sure she heard me.

Irk...

Anyways, back to the hummus. My new food processor came today and I had to break it in. I used Rachel Ray's spicy hummus recipe and it was easy-n-delicious! The boyfriend liked it, too. We had a tiny bit left over that'll make for a good snack tomorrow.

Rachel Ray's Spicy Hummus

1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
2 rounded tablespoons tahini sesame paste, found in both dairy and dry specialty foods sections
A drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
1 teaspoon (1/3 palm full) ground cumin
1 teaspoon (1/3 palm full) ground coriander
1 clove garlic, crushed
Coarse salt
1/2 lemon, juiced

Combine beans, tahini, oil, pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in food processor bowl and grind into a smooth paste. Transfer to a small dip dish and surround spread with warm pita wedges.

Our can of chickpeas was 15.5 ounces instead of 14.5, but I just added in a little extra extra virgin olive oil and some water. It was the perfect consistency and flavor.

Labels: , ,