« Home | I may take things too personally... » | Can't think of a title » | Grocerying » | It's gonna be a long trip » | And "veggea" means...? »

I am SO OVER meat.

Sometimes it takes just that one bad experience that definitely helps to push you over the edge to a more animal-friendly lifestyle. Last night, the boyfriend and I went to O'Charley's - probably THE singlemost vegetarian-unfriendly place on the planet. Every single item on the menu (except for spinach artichoke dip) contains some kind of meat. Even the salads; they all have chicken on them. So in order to eat vegetarian, you have to special order something. Pretty sad, huh?

I figured that since I'm viewing my transition into veganism as a process rather than an event (can't remember where I read that), and that lemon-artichoke chicken looked so damn good on the menu, I'd get it. BAD, BAD IDEA.

1) I ended up feeling so guilty that I was eating chicken, that I could only about 1/3 of it.
2) Because I felt so guilty, it tasted awful. (Or maybe that was an independent factor.)
3) All night long, I kept imagining little baby chickens peeping in my ear: "Why did you eat my mommy?!"
4) Not to mention, everything else on the plate tasted gross. The mashed potatoes (full of bacon, of course) were awful and the vegetable medley was way overcooked and mushy. Yech.

By the time we got back to my apartment, I was feeling so sick that I promptly drank half a bottle of Pepto-Bismol. And I'm still paying for it today - I feel awful! My stomach is an absolute mess. I guess when your body's really ready to give up meat finally, it lets you know. Man, I never, ever want to do that again. At least Chris enjoyed his dinner!

So I ordered 4 books from Amazon yesterday. The three I'd already mentioned in a couple of posts ago, plus Vegan Planet. I wanted to order many, many more but I figure I'll try my hand with these first. :) And I should REALLY wait before I order Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World, because a girl cannot subsist on cupcakes alone (hmm...or CAN she?). My books should be here sometime next week. Woo!

It's exciting to learn that there is another vegan (transitioning vegan, but close enough, right?) in Knoxville! You will love VWAV and Vegan Planet. They are two of my favorite cookbooks. Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World is pretty high up there, too. In fact, I was thinking of making cupcakes tonight!

Try the library! They're usually a great source for cookbooks (and even in my small town, I've found some great vegan and vegetarian cookbooks). Can't beat free!!

Post a Comment